Refresh from Stress Helps Emory Employees Start New Year Refreshed
This past November, Emory employees had the opportunity to participate in an innovative new emotional health program for Emory employees – Refresh from Stress: 30-Day Inspiration (RFS). The first enterprise-wide stress management program of its kind at Emory, the program offered daily activities that participants could follow to increase their self-care skills and enhance their emotional well-being. RFS was sponsored by the Faculty Staff Assistance Program, in partnership with Healthy Emory.
More than 3,000 people registered for the program, which offered self-care strategies that participants could easily use in their daily activities. Eighty-seven (87) percent of the respondents who participated in a follow-up survey reported the program helped them better manage stress, with these being the “most helpful” activities: sleeping at least 7 hours, increasing physical activity, eating a healthy meal, silently reflecting, and taking a laughter break. Two other simple, yet impactful activities - sharing a smile and complimenting others – were among the most frequently completed activities. Grand prize winner Janet Watson reports that even after the 30-Day Inspiration was over, she continues to use the exercises on a daily basis.
If you were unable to participate in the program, you can still access a copy of the calendar with descriptions of each daily activity: http://www.fsap.emory.edu/documents/RFSActivityCalendar2016.pdf.
2016 Refresh from Stress Winners
During the first half of the challenge, participants who completed 13 of the 15 daily activities were entered into a drawing for a $25 gift card to Whole Foods. At the end of the challenge, participants who completed at least 26 of the 30 daily activities were entered into a drawing for a 1-hour massage at any Spa Sydell location. Those who completed all 30 activities were entered into a grand prize drawing for four tickets to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens Holiday Lights exhibits and $100 towards dinner at Linton’s Restaurant or a Kindle Fire HD 10 Tablet.
Mid-Month Winners ($25 gift card to Whole Foods)
- Gabriella Castillo, Veterinary Technician II, Yerkes Main Station
- Kate Naylor, Program Coordinator, DAR: Development Programs, Michael C. Carlos Museum
- Magdalene Yonker, Mental Health Case Manager & Wellness Program Coordinator, School of Medicine Department of Behavioral Sciences.
- Winners of one-hour massages: Linda Wells, RN, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Emory Healthcare and Jody Hayles, Zone Supervisor, Campus Services – Facilities Management, Emory University
- Grand Prize Winner of a Kindle Fire HD 10 Tablet: Janet Watson, Senior Accounting Assistant, Finance Department, Emory Johns Creek Hospital
In addition, Susan Shiver, Senior Medical Secretary, Internal Medicine: Rheumatology, Emory Clinic, received a $25 Amazon gift card as part of a drawing for everyone who participated in the RFS survey.